A Little Bit of Belly Dance History
Musical Challenge -- can you answer the questions??
1) What was Ahab the Arab's camel name?
2) In the song, "Walk like an Egyptian", by the Bangles, who ate at
3) The Coasters' hit, "Little Egypt", what was tattooed on her
4) What was King Tut buried in, from the song by Steve Martin?
5) What is the title of the song about a belly dancer by the Hollies done in
6) Misorlou was the theme song from what hit movie starring John Travolta?
7) What was put to bed, in Maria Muldaur song, "Midnight at the
8) "Would you like my mask? Would you like my mirror? Cries the man in
the shadowing hood", is from what Loreena McKennitt song?
9) Who sings, "Gypsy Woman", the '70's version and the '60's
10) Song title by, They Might be Giants?
Belly Dance Quiz
1. What is a textile art from Egypt in which tiny bits of metal are
attached into mesh fabric to create a design?
2. In Arabic, this literally means "suit". It refers
to the cabaret-style
beaded bra/belt/skirt/body stocking costume that a belly dancer wears for a
3. What is a traditional instrument used in Turkish and Arabic folk
that resembles a flute both in appearance and sound?
4. What is the Arabic name for finger cymbals?
5. Bare-midriff, fitted blouse worn under saris by women in India.
6. A folk dance native to Lebanon.
7. An ancient blessing ritual practiced by one of theTuareg Berber
8. This word means "my darling" or "beloved" in
9. In traditional Arabic music, this refers to the question-and-answer
goes back and forth between a melody instrument and a drummer.
10. Arabic word for "the act of dancing". It usually
appears combined with
another word that defines what type of dance.
A Little Bit of Belly Dance History
1893 which dancer claims to have danced at the Chicago Worlds Fair?
2. In 1910 Mary Garden does what dance in the opera Salome in Chicago?
3. What Lebanese singer, dancer,
and actress is credited with the adoption of a new costume, which in
Arabic is called bedlah?
4. In 1927 Badia Masabni opens Casino Opera in Cairo
featuring which two well know belly dancers in the show?
5. In which year does the Egyptian government requires dancers
to cover themselves from shoulders to ankles?
6. During the Golden Age of Egyptian Oriental Dance which
dancer was known as the “Isadora Duncan of the East”?
7. In 1970 a women’s liberation group pickets a performance
by what well know US instructor’s students in Berkeley, CA on the grounds that belly dancing treats women as sex objects?
8. In 1978 the TV show 20/20 estimated that were how many belly
dancers in the United States?
9. In 1987 what American born dance style was created in
San Francisco and by whom?
10. In 2003 belly dancers performed with what traveling musical
tour which Miles Copeland created Bellydance Superstars?
More about Yasmina
Bio, Photos & More
follow me on
of the Month
Belly Dance History - 7 videos compiled by Amira
Games: mental preparation for dance - by Princess Farhana
3 workshops, shopping,
July 11, 2015
Amira brings the ancient arts
of Yoga and Belly Dance
together in a modern world,
with a program that teaches
gentle and effective techniques
to help every woman on the
path to one of life's most profound
experiences - motherhood.
For more info please visit us at:
The Las Vegas
Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
September 10-13, 2015
at the FLAMINGO Hotel & Casino
Join Bozenka, Carolena Nericcio, Megha Gavin, Princess Farhana, Issam Houshan, Amel Tafsout, Ariellah, and Tamalyn Dallal as well as 30 other instructors who will be teaching a cumulative total of over 80 hours of instruction. There will be SHOPPING, a dance FESTIVAL, breathtaking SHOWS, an amazing "So, You Think You Can Belly Dance? CONTEST", and a Vegas-Style COCKTAIL PARTY with live music.
The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive & Festival is a 4-Day Extravaganza of non-stop entertainment, education, & excitement. There is a little something for everybody whether you are a seasoned dancer or a curious onlooker.
Our 2015 event will be held at the historic Flamingo Hotel & Casino and the Clark County Library Theater next September 10-13, 2015.
Contact: Samira Tu'Ala
our Etsy Store
Crafty Belly Dancer
Your best source for quality silk veils
Buy 4 get 5th FREE troupe discount!
36 different colors in all sizes-
Standard, petite, semi-circle, 3/4 circle, & poi sets!
Always FREE shipping in the US
100% Habotai 5 mm silk
100% satisfaction guaranteed!
Would you like to see your ad
here?? Check out the Ad Page for more info.